By now, everyone has probably heard about the Open Carry Texas “event” at Chipotle that prompted them to ban guns in their restaurants. Everybody and their brother seems to have posted about it. Most of the posts, even from the pro-gun side, condemn the participants as idiots. I agree to a large degree, but would like to point out a few things.
Texas, in their infinite wisdom, has made the open carry of handguns illegal. Therefore, any legal open carry must be with long guns.
The more we fight amongst ourselves, the easier we make it for the anti-rights crowd. Sure, the guys in the widely distributed photo were idiots, but they are our idiots, and we shouldn’t help crucify them. Pull them to the side and teach them how to act in public? Yes. Definitely. Please. Crucify them? No.
If you truly feel the need to carry a long gun in public for protection, I encourage you to do whatever you need to do. Dress however is appropriate for your situation, and carry on.
For those who do so primarily for the sake of activism, I have a few requests/points that, if followed, will probably make your activism more effective, and certainly make it less offensive to those on our side.
- Don’t play with the weapon! Unless you need to ventilate someone, don’t touch the fucking thing.
- Dress well. Matching shirts would be ideal if in a group. Business casual would probably be the best choice for individual activism or if matching shirts is not an option. If you can’t do that, at least wear the nicest pants and shirt that you own, make sure the shirt is clean and freshly ironed, and tuck it into your pants.
- Sling the rifle so that it is behind you. You know all the pictures you’ve seen of the hot IDF chicks? Come on, I know you have. Carry like they do.
- Don’t play with the weapon! Unless you need to ventilate someone, don’t touch the fucking thing. (repetition intentional)
- Do NOT pose for pictures.
- Be prepared to answer questions politely and intelligently. If you lack that talent, stay close to someone who can rescue you and save you, your group, and your cause from embarrassment.
- If gathering at a business, be particularly polite and generous. A 30+% tip from everyone would likely have the servers up in arms if management were to ban them at the behest of some whiny twit.