Last year several EMS, cop and gun bloggers came together with a last-minute idea of a way to raise awareness for male-specific cancer, since there is little publicity or fund raising for said cancers, especially when compared to the massive exposure that breast cancer gets. Before you get all uppity, yes I know men get breast cancer, so technically, breast cancer isn’t female-specific, but over 99 percent of cases occur in females.
These bloggers raised over $12K in a month. There has been significantly more planning this year, and the goal has been set at a very reasonable $50K. Sponsors have put together some awesome prize packages for the top fundraisers. Go here for more information about the fundraiser, and how to donate. I’m not competing, but I did want to write a post about it. The fundraiser kicked off the beginning of this month, so I’m a little late, but here goes.
Prostate Cancer Facts:
- About 240,890 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed in 2012.
- About 33,720 men will die of prostate cancer in 2012.
- About 1 man in 6 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.
- More than 2 million men in the United States who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point are still alive today.
- Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer.
- About 1 man in 36 will die of prostate cancer.
Testicular Cancer Facts:
- It most often affects men between ages 20 and 39.
- It affects 8,000 men a year, and kills 390 of them.
- It is the most common form of cancer in men ages 15-34.
- 95% of cases can be cured if detected early.
I was going to play, but my kilt didn’t arrive in time. Yes, I bought one. 5.11 did an April Fool joke that backfired on them. Almost everybody knew that it was a joke, but lots of folks sent a request to be notified when it became available anyway. Enough people responded to convince them to do a one-time run, with an estimated ship date of 01 September. I ordered one, and planned to ask the manager to allow me to wear it to work, since it is the right color. It is now not supposed to ship until later this month – too late for me to use this year. Maybe next year, if it still fits.