I just got back from the range. It was my first trip alone in quite a while. It was spitting rain, so I left Annie at home. I went to the Conventional Pistol Range, which is the only place that has cement instead of gravel or dirt at the firing line to make it easier to recover my brass. It has fixed target stands at twenty-five and fifty yards. I normally do most of my work at about fifteen yards, and it’s been a while since I shot more than a couple mags or cylinders, so I expected to suck. I performed as expected.
I started with the HiPoint 45, which I got back from the factory a couple weeks ago. They had made a completely new one, which they sent back in place of the old one, with a third mag in the box. I ran approximately one hundred fifty of my reloads through it. It had one failure to feed, similar to before, and one round that fed but didn’t go completely into battery. Good enough for a handgun that only cost a hundred fifty dollars, especially since both malfunctions could have been ammo related. Next time, I’ll run a couple mags of fresh carry ammo through it, and if there are no malfunctions, it goes back into service.
Then I moved to the Alaskan. A few days ago, I found some rounds that I had loaded quite a while back using some 250 grain 45 Colt bullets and some really old powder that had been in the powder dispenser for years prior to use. I should have thrown the powder away, since I had to stir it to break up the clumps before it would meter properly. Being the
cheap asshole ultra-frugal individual that I am, I did not do so. I had brought seventy-five rounds with me today. I shot two cylinders, and observed that all the bullets were impacting left of center. I adjusted the sight one click, and was pleased to find that cylinder number three was well centered. I noticed quite a bit of variance in power between rounds, and a noticeable amount of unburnt powder was accumulating on the bench, but all the rounds were going off, and the accuracy was acceptable. The first trigger pull on the fourth cylinder yielded a barely audible pop. The primer went off, but the powder did not light. This resulted in the bullet being lodged in the first half inch of the barrel. Since I had forgotten to bring the dowel rod that I use to clear such malfunctions, that one was done for the day.
I then it was time for my Glock model 20. I only brought about seventy-five rounds of 10mm with me, despite not having shot it much recently. It shot a little high at twenty-five yards, and had less recoil than I remembered. Perhaps shooting it immediately following the 454 had a little to do with that assessment. I had four malfunctions. One failure to fire that went off the second time that I tried it, and three rounds that would not go completely into battery. One of the cases had significant visible imperfections that I assume were rough enough to hang up in the chamber. The other two appeared normal, and had no manually discernible bulges or other defects that would indicate a problem. I was using the Jarvis barrel that I have used since I bought the gun roughly a decade ago, since it is unwise to reload brass that has been fired through a factory Glock barrel, unless you don’t like having your hands very much. I guess I need to invest in some factory ammo to make sure that these malfunctions were indeed ammo related and not cause for concern. The G20 is #2 in the rotation for non-discreet carry behind the Alaskan, and I need for it to be reliable.
All in all, a good day. Not the best day, perhaps, but recoil therapy is always a good thing. Now I get to go clean them.